Some smoke RnDs made for Uncanny Valley!
This time we had a great challenge; making smoke setup, lighting and rendering for 24 shots, and every shot had 3-4 smoke passes and deadline was about 2 months.
We built up a smoke library including: close, mid, far sims and different behaviors (12 sim in total). About 500 frames each pass. Also made a light rig that would be referenced in each shot. For fast visualization, we converted the last simulation frame to polygon so as to have lot of speed placing the smoke colums.
Once that process was ready, and as shots staredg arriving, we ´ve just reference the smoke sims needed, place them, reference light rig and render them out.
We used MtoA and made all renders.
Thanks for watching!